Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Maua

Maua (Ma-oo-uh) is a blossoming vocalist and lyricist with potential to critically touch the masses. Check out our interview below.

How did you become inspired to be a vocalist and lyricist? 


Maua - Well, first of all, I've been singing my whole life so my inspiration for vocal music is innate. Growing up, my mom was a local soul singer in the bay and seeing her perform all the time sparked something in me that I wanted to do the same thing with my life eventually. Being a lyricist didn't come until later on in my life when I joined BUMP Records which is a youth program in Oakland. I was initially doing spoken word, but once I got to BUMP and seen so many rappers, I decided to try it out. I give credit to Do D.A.T, who worked at BUMP and who's also a well known local artist, for teaching me how to put rhythm to my words. It just so happened that I was good at it and everybody thought I w as dope even when my confidence wasn't at its peek.

It's a wonderful feeling to be encouraged by others when your confidence isn't it's best. What is your style of music? What's unique about it?


Maua - Honestly, I'm still on a mission to find my definitive style... I'm exploring right now. But I'd say my style of music is just raw, honest, and reflective of what many people refer to as "urban" life. I just speak what I know and I use my truth as the base of everything I write. I think that's what makes it unique. The fact that I never allow my truth to tarnish within my music, no matter what audience I'm trying to reach. I stay true to me and how I feel.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with searching for your style. It's important to explore! So Maua, who has inspired you to continue on this musical journey?


Maua - My son is my main inspiration to stay dedicated to my journey. I had him real young so I have a whole different perspective on life than many people my age without children. I know that what I'm doing will eventually give him the life he deserves. Aside from him, everybody who's been in my corner from the beginning keeps me pushing. There's been plenty of times I wanted to quit and just go to school and  take the safe road; but my mother, my artistic mentors, musical peers, and my fans who stick by me and look forward to my next projects keep me motivated.

That's a wonderful perspective to have. Who are some artists that you've worked with? Anyone internationally?


Maua - I've worked with a lot of local Bay area artists such as Do D.A.T, Fly Guy, Dick Boston of Hot Head Ent., Kurse Krew, and a handful of producers. I haven't worked with anyone internationally yet.

Is there any artist that you would want to work with in the future? 


Maua - Definitely! I have so many, but I'd like to work first off with my mentor, singer Netta B who was signed to Atlantic. She's dope, and I'm so proud of her. Another artist I also want to work with is Wale, he's dope.

Nice. Are you currently working on any new projects or events?


Yes, I'm currently working on my next album, so I'm in the studio a lot knocking songs  out. My first single entitled "Insane" will be released soon. I'm also working on a collaborative mixtape with my long time friend and Bay Area rapper Fly Guy. We're just grinding right now getting work done.

What are your future goals as an artist?


My future goals as an artist are just to keep honing my craft, and being one of the best at what I do, especially vocally. I intend to be a big figure in this business so I'm taking the necessary steps. I see myself becoming an international figure and touching the masses with my art and connecting with people on the highest level.


Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mauanzingha
Twitter: @queenmaua
http://www.reverbnation.com/mauamusic
bumprecords.bandcamp.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment