Thursday, January 12, 2012

Felton "Kapital" Brown: Artist Manager

Remember in Kane's interview I mentioned that I would be interviewing his manager? Well you can check out the interview below and get an inside scoop from the Artist Manager's perspective.


What encouraged you to become an Artist Manager?


Kapital - It's funny how I became an Artist Manger, because I had no desire at all to become an Artist Manager. In high school I was really into hobbies that involved entertainment whether it was  sports, music, fashion, or anything that caught the eye of the people, but even at that point with all the activities I was into I still had  no idea that working in entertainment would  be apart of my life forever. It wasn't until the beginning of my sophomore year in college while I was studying business administration that I realized that the entertainment business is my passion and that was  where I truly wanted to be. Kane who is now my business partner and lead recording artist over at 24/7  Hustle Entertainment is actually the individual that made me aware of my abilities, and I'm forever thankful to him.  Kane was always into music even when we were kids outside playing in dirt (lol). Kane will be playing in dirt but rhyming at the same time. He started a career in music very young. For about a year straight Kane approached me about this vision he had about us becoming music executives. In 2007 I finally gave in to his vision and  became his manager; the rest is history.


Wow, what a touching story. Who are some artists that you work with? 


Kapital - Well directly I work closely with the artist under the 24/7 Hustle  Entertainment emblem, which includes Kane, Gudda Fresh, Hound, and Relo. On an indirect tip I work with artist all over the power of the Internet as a consultant that can guide artist in the correct path. Social media has had a major impact on music industry. So aspiring recording artist contacts me all of the time on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Myspace about advice and ways to better their music.

I completely agree! Social media is one of the main platforms that aspiring artist use today. Kane, as a manger do you find it hard to plan, organize, & think strategically when working for your artist? 


Kapital - I don't find being a manager hard at all because I feel I have a gift. Working in the entertainment industry I know is my purpose and God in Heavens will for me. So being able to plan, organize, and think strategically is second nature for me; because I'm following a vision that serves as a road map. For example, no one knew that the painting by Leonardo  Da Vinci "The Mona Lisa" was a masterpiece before it was completed except it's creator, because he was the only one with the vision. Like Leonardo, I too have a vision that I follow and right before my eyes I see it coming alive. Although at times I may get distracted and lose sight of the vision. In these times I quickly enter into a spiritual fast and receive directions from the father in heaven on how to continue.

Love the example Kapital. Why is is negotiating important as an artist manager?


Kapital - Negotiation is vital in all forms of business because no one gives you what you deserve they only give you what you negotiate. So being able to hold your ground in the business environment of negotiation is the key to your livelihood. In my situation I have to make sure that when closing deals, all areas are satisfied in terms of the artist, the business, and myself. I'm blessed to say that the majority of my negotiations have been short and sweet, but I have had my share of shysters looking for something for nothing.

Nice way to put it and I totally agree with your point of how "negotiation is vital in all forms of business". What are your future goals for your artist?


I won't speak too much in detail on this subject matter but let's just say it requires a 24/7 Hustle... My vision and desire is to propel my organization and those apart of it into being apart of the legacy of the music industry. In the years to come, I expect the recording artist under the 24/7 Hustle Entertainment emblem to be highly active in the mainstream industry.


What a wonderful interview! It's great to know about the artist but it's also informative to know about the manager. Tomorrow, you can expect an interview on the artist "Ha-Rih". Stay tuned :)


Twitter: @Kapital247
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/247HustleEnt
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/feltonkapitalbrown

0 comments:

Post a Comment