Monday, December 12, 2011

Starting Off On The Right Note: Working for The Wendy Williams Show



I've had the privilege to interview a long time friend, Dianamarie Borrero. We've met in college and kept in touch over time. Currently, she has been granted the opportunity to work at the Wendy Williams show. I've interviewed her to discuss her perspective/role in the business and how negotiation plays apart.

Where did you attend college and what did you major in?


I attended Full Sail University and majored in Entertainment Business Bachelors Program.
I've received my bachelors in the same degree.  


Would you say that Full Sail University preps you for the real world?


Full Sail University definitely prepared me for the real world. I learned more about the industry and was able to communicate well with individuals already in the industry. 


I know from attending Full Sail that networking is a major factor especially when working in the entertainment industry. Which sector of the industry do you work in? How long?


I work in the Television Industry. I began working here on August 2011.


Congratulations by the way! I know most college students don't get the opportunity to working in the field that their degree is in. How does it feel to work for the Wendy Williams show? What's your current job description?


It's a privilege to work for The Wendy Williams Show. To work at a show that I've been a fan of for years feels very rewarding and fulfilling. My current job description is Audience Assistant. I'm in charge of booking the shows every day and making sure that we have a full studio each day.


That sounds like a cool job position. Is this where you've imagined working after college?


I've never really pictured myself working in television after college. I also saw myself working in the music industry instead. However, working in the television industry has opened my eyes to newer things. I've learned to love the television industry in a way that I never thought was possible.


Well that's amazing because you never know which direction life is going to take you. How important is your role to the company?


My role is very important to the company. Without an audience department at a live show there really isn't a show. You need audience members to keep the spirit of the show alive. It is up to our department to get those audience members and make the show that much more entertaining.


I understand completely. I'm sure your job keeps you very busy since you play such a huge role. How does negotiations play apart of having guests on the show?


Negotiations plays a big part in having guests on the show. If there is a popular celebrity who is relevant for the current time in which we would like to book for the show, we negotiate certain things with them in order to have them appear. Such things would include; providing them a flight to New York, a paid two night stay at a hotel of their choice, etc. There are many things that guests do not feel comfortable in doing/saying before appearing on the show. Therefore, we negotiate what we can and cannot ask them during the show. For example, one of our guests had a few questions in which they were not comfortable in asking therefore we replaced questions with another question in which they would have to answer if they did not want to answer the others.

Wow! It's evident that negotiating is a huge factor especially for the television industry. How important is it to separate the people from the problem when negotiating deals?


When negotiating with people it is still good to have some type of conversation with them before you go straight into what you need from them. You want the situation to be a comfortable one before handling the business. It's important to focus more on the business aspect verses personal.


I totally agree. I think it's always important to not take negotiations personal especially when it's for a business purpose. Since you are affiliated with the company, does it make your job easier? Is your work appreciated?


My job is still hard work regardless if I am affiliated with the company. However, everyone works as a team at this show. No one looks down to anyone. We all believe in working fairly and equally together. Every day we all say "good job" to each other and appreciate each other's work.


That's a good attitude to have. I'm sure with that vibe, you look forward to going to work every day! What are your overall goals as you continue to work in the entertainment industry? Where do you see yourself in five years?


My overall goals are to continue to network and get to know more people in the industry. I feel like the more people you know, the more experience you will gain. I see myself as a Publicist or Executive in charge for a show in five years.




Twitter: Miss_Dianamarie

0 comments:

Post a Comment